Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bidwell Mansion

Chico, CA

 It's a bit of an unusual relationship.  Jane and I became friends/acquaintances because our email addresses are almost identical.  I was serving on a volunteer committee and in our back and forth emails one of the members dropped a letter from my address.  Next thing we knew Jane from California was in the loop and regretfully declining attendance at the next meeting.

When Jane learned about my passion for house museums and this blog she recommended her local favorite, the Bidwell Mansion in Chico CA.

Though not planning a trip to the West Coast anytime soon, I was intrigued.  But I was stopped in my tracks.  Early search results  focused on a listing of over 70 California state parks slated for closing in the summer of 2012 due to the dire California budget crisis.  Bidwell Mansion was on the list! 

Reading further the Mansion looked just like the kind of property I love to tour and write about.  It's interesting to me at every turn... so many historical references in the related biographies, so much period furnishings and interior design elements, so many architectural details, and so much beauty in the surrounding geography!

The Bidwell Mansion Association is raising funds to keep the Mansion open for another year!  Let's hope they're successful and that they're ingenious enough to keep Bidwell open year after year.

To learn more about what we're missing at the Bidwell Mansion go to Martha's Musing. And for more discussion about the California park closings as well as the Bidwell go to the blog  State Park Closures Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment